Monday, September 16, 2013

Excitement



I haven't been writing as much, but that may be a good thing as I have become increasingly more involved with department things, new friendships (as well as old), and Bethel life altogether. This fall I am working on my senior seminar. That is a class that each major has at Bethel, but they all consist of slightly different content. For History, I use this semester for independent research, write a 30 page paper, and present my research to the entire History faculty, along with students, family, and friends. It used to terrify me, but it's a good thing. The intent is that it gives you undergraduate experience to prepare you for grad school. yikes... I am ecstatic though because I have a topic and it is actually something I am very excited to research...and it may even provide me with a job after school!

My topic is department stores in the early 20th century and class/gender relations between the women working and the women consuming, with a focus on the department store, Dayton's, which opened in Minneapolis. Suffice it to say, there is a wealth of information here for me to dig through. I am very thankful. A few of my professors have come up to at different times and told me that this research could wind up landing me a job; Target came out of Dayton's and as all know (which I didn't know), big corporations always have an archivist. For my research I will be contacting Target Corporation to dig through their archives and hopefully it could turn into something much greater than findings for my research. Who knows what will come of this! Regardless if this could turn into a job, I am very excited the things I am learning.

At the same time, I am trying to keep life in perspective; school is important, but it is not the only thing in my life. This weekend I was able to go camping with quite a few of my siblings and their families and we had a great time. I love that most of them are so close and I can be a part of their individual families and see their little kiddo's grow up.

Another blessing in my life are my roommates. How awesome is it to be surrounded by people that are excited for me and the things that are exciting to me! I love sharing life with these two wonderful women. Our little apartment is becoming such a lovely little home to come back to as we grow evermore closer.

On a side note: Since I live in an apartment, we cook all of our own meals. I'm tired of what I cook. If any of you have some solid go to meals, share them! Sometimes I think the hardest part of cooking, is simply figuring out what to cook.


No comments:

Post a Comment